There are many things you probably don’t know about casino games and their origin. This Holiday Season, Superior Casino has collected some of the most interesting and fun facts about gambling.
Did you know?
- Annually Las Vegas receives around 37 million visitors.
- Las Vegas has 1 slot machine for every 8 of its inhabitants.
- Las Vegas became officially a city in 1911 and its name comes from the Spanish: “The Meadows” or “Abundance”
- The suits in a standard deck of playing cards represent ancient kingdoms and regions in human history. The Spades represents Middle East, the Clubs represent Ancient Greece, the Diamonds represent the Roman Empire and finally, the Hearts represent the Holy Roman Empire.
- The typical playing cards as we know them today got their final shape and design from 15th century France.
- In the 15th century, Europeans began to use the face cards (J,Q,K) to represent famous figures in history. The king of Spades is supposed to represent David, king of the kingdom of Israel. King of Hearts represents Charlemagne or Charles the Great, the famous king of the Franks in the 8th century A.C. King of Diamond portrays Julius Caesar. Finally, the king of Clubs is inspired by Alexander the Great, the legendary king of Macedon. The Queens and Jacks of the deck also represent historical or mythological figures. The Jack of Diamonds, for example, represents Homer’s Hector. The Queen of Spades represents Pallas, the Greek Goddess.
- The very first slot machine to appear was developed by Charles Fey and was called “The Liberty Bell”.
We hope you’ve enjoyed these interesting facts about gambling. May you all have a lucky and prosperous New Year.